cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pix 506 pswd recovery- can't ping itself in monitor mode

jamesf
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to do a password recovery, but after following the procedure I cannot ping the internal interface from itself or the PC on the same subnet. When booted normally, the 506 serves dhcp and can ping the PC and vice cersa. But in monitor mode, it cannot ping itself or the PC. I've entered:

interface 1

address 172.16.30.1

server 172.16.30.11

file np63.bin

gateway 172.16.30.1 (tried with & without this; also tried .2 on the interface and .1 as the gateway)

I can see the activity light flash for the 5 pings. The PC and 506 are directly connected via crossover cable. I manually set the PC to 172.16.30.11/24 with a gateway of .1 and it can ping itself. It is a borrowed pix so I don't know if there is any "no icmp" or other config that would prevent this. I did try the tftp command just for grins and it failed.

Thanks for any leads.

jim

2 Replies 2

thamdani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jim,

Try the same procedure with interface 0 and see if that works ,Also check if there is any firewall on PC from which you are trying to access the firewall.

Regards,

Tanveer

Arrrrrgh! Yes, it was the firewall. It's also a borrowed PC and I'd forgotten about ZoneAlarm. Thanks Tanveer.

jim

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card