Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

PIX 506E, PPTP and Windows 98

Hi,

Customer can't run IPSEC (long story), so we're attempting to use the Microsoft PPTP "client" to terminate their VPN on a PIX506E. In order to simplify things, we've gone with local authentication (RADIUS has proved problematic on the Win2k Server).

It works fine from a XP machine, but not Windows 98 - I'm getting "Error 691" messages, which means that the PIX is actively rejecting the login/password (i.e. the packets arrive on the PIX ok, I can see them in a debug).

Someone else has suggested here that Windows 98 machines which have been connected to the domain will prepend the domain name, ie. DOMAIN/USERNAME, rather than just the username. I've tried to create a local entry for that combination but with no sucess.

Has anyone had similar issues or know of a workaround?

I'm getting the engineer tomorrow to go over the RADIUS authentication (regardless of this problem, I want it off the PIX), will that help maybe?

Cheers,

Mike.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: PIX 506E, PPTP and Windows 98

Whoever told you that it appends the name is absolutely correct. You can see the exact username password that your windows 98 pc is sending if you turn on loggin on the connection. Name of the log is ppp.log. Take a look at that log after attempting to connect and you will see the exact username being sent, which is the same that you will need to put in your pix. You might wanna retype your password for the user on the pix as well.

Kurtis Durrett

2 REPLIES

Whoever told you that it appends the name is absolutely correct. You can see the exact username password that your windows 98 pc is sending if you turn on loggin on the connection. Name of the log is ppp.log. Take a look at that log after attempting to connect and you will see the exact username being sent, which is the same that you will need to put in your pix. You might wanna retype your password for the user on the pix as well.

Kurtis Durrett

Thanks Kurtis, I'll have a look at it today.

Mike.

Views
Helpful
Replies