Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 506E vers 6.2(2)-ARP corruption?

u.naranjo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Have a 506e which was working fine; suddenly it started to disconnect and noticed that I could not ping the inside hosts. When I reduced the arp timeout from the default 14400 to 20 secs; it works fine even so I get sudden timeouts, but the connection remains.

I tried looking the inside network for any device causing this corruption(dhcp server, proxy etc) but could not find nothing wrong.

Has anybody out there had this similar situation?

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks

Urie Naranjo

Note: This issues was resolved; found out that somebody configured a dsl router in the inside network and assigned an ip being used by another host, and this was creating the ARP corruption..

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

awaheed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Urie,

Being from the TAC we would normally get issues like this when we have two devices on the segment Proxy-ARP'ing for the same IP address, so all the other devices on that same LAN will have no way to know which one to send the data to, sometimes the device which responds later to the Proxy-ARP will get the entry in the table and this can be seen with sh arp on the PIX/Routers. (Usually if two devices are on the segment with the same IP address, the console of the Router/PIX will show that a duplicate IP is on the segment)

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Aamir

-=-=-

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card