Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX 515 and console keyboard inputs

I have a PIX 515.

Since today I have the following problem:

The PIX is connected to COM1 to a configuration workstation.

I have configured HyperTerminal (W2K3 version, but also tried TeraTerm Pro Web 3.1.3) to connect to the PIX with 9600 8-N-1.

I power cycle the PIX and I see the boot message, to press SPACE to go directly to flash boot, and ESC or BREAK to stop flash boot. At this point I'm already unable to enter a keyboard command. SPACE doesn't end the boot countdown and doesn't boot the flash immediately. And sending BREAK or ESC doesn't stop the PIX from booting the flash.

After the boot countdown, the flash configuration is booted without a problem. After the command prompt appears, I'm still unable to enter any keyboard commands. But I'm able to ping the inside und outside IP addresses which I already configured yesterday. So the PIX itself is obviously not crashed.

I can not connect by telnet, because I haven't configured telnet access yet.

I already tried other terminal software, I tried an other workstations, I switched the console cable. But nothing helped me to solve this.

Any help?

Thanks

Frank Hofmann

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: PIX 515 and console keyboard inputs

Please double check your hyperterminal settings. Ensure you have 9600 baud rate, 8 data bits, and 1 stop. and also the console cable.

Do you have a failover cable attached? If so, remove it, and reboot the PIX.

If that doesn't work, reboot the PIX and get into monitor mode and try typing there. During the beginning of the boot process, the PIX will prompt you to press ESC to interrupt the boot sequence and go into Monitor mode.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content