Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

PIX 515 failover box??

I have a PIX 515 that a friend gave me. I was told by a salesman that it was a failover unit that won't work by itself. It shows that it is a PIX 515, 32 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 200 MHZ, Licensed options: failover: disabled, ipsec: disabled. The unit shows that it is v.4.4(7), but my main question is will this work as a standalone unit just fine, or do I need to get a "primary" unit to work with it. (It does have the word "failover" on the back next to the failover port) I don't need a failover configuration at this time. Thanks!

3 REPLIES

Re: PIX 515 failover box??

PIX boxes are turned into failover boxes by the existence of the failover cable. If it’s not plugged in, it’s a standalone firewall and will work fine. By the way… your friend got any more PIX’s laying around? :)

I had a similiar situation. When I tried to boot the failover box it would not boot and gave a message that it was a failover box and needed a primary PIX to work. I checked with Cisco and in fact if it is a failover box, it cannot work as a standalone system. I needed the primary PIX box. It should tell you this when you attempt to boot.

It turns out that the older code will allow the PIX to boot if it is indeed a FO unit. The problem is the PIX will re-boot every 24 hours or less. With th 6.0 code it wont even boot! Can't blame them as it cost much less that the real deal.

Mike

Views
Helpful
Replies