cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515 outbound VPN connection?

gjeff80
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know what I would need to do to allow a client on the inside of the PIX firewall to connect to another companies VPN server? When attempting to connect to a VPN server on the outside of the PIX it returns error 721, the computer failed to respond. The access list has the default explict lists, which should allow the connection to be established because it was initiated on the inside correct? Any help would be appreciated!.. Thanks

Glenn

6 Replies 6

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I guess you are trying to establish a PPTP Connection to the remote VPN Server. In order to PPTP through a PIX, you must have a one-to-one mapping from the external IP to an internal IP for type 47 GRE packets and port 1723.

Configure a static public ip address for this client and then try connecting to the remote side. And also, if possible test the client with a Dial Up, just to make sure that the PPTP is configured properly on the VPN Server and the Client.

Regards,

Arul

Arul,

Yes it is a PPTP connection to a remote VPN server that I am trying to establish. I've used Dial Up and can establish a connection fine, and I've set a laptop up on the public network and can connect fine to the VPN, which made me realize it was a problem w/ the PIX setup.

So if I want to establish a VPN connection in the future I will need to establish a one-to-one mapping for the private adderss to a public address? Is it possible to configure the PIX so any of the clients on the inside could establish a connection? The way the PIX is setup right now is that it is using a pool of IP address on the outside network, and using NAT for the private addresses. I'm new to the PIX, I was just surprised that the pix didn't establish a connection automatically.

Thanks,

Glenn

We have the same problem (error 721). My question is what command is for establish one-to-one mapping from the external IP to an internal IP for type 47 GRE packets and port 1723.

thanks

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You need a full routable ip address for the user behind the Pix and can do a static translation

static(inside,outside) a.b.c.d w.x.y.z

where,

a.b.c.d is the routable ip address

w.x.y.z is the internal ip address of the user that is trying to make the connection.

Regards,

Arul

So it is strictly a one to one, there isn't a way you could allow any client on the inside connect to a VPN server outside?

Arul,

Thank you. But, I already have the traslation:

static(inside,outside) public ip host_name netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

any thing wrong?

bob