cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 515 pix704.bin to pix721.bin upgrade...

hornbeck
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was able to get from 6.3 to the 7.04 upgrade successfully. I loaded the 7.21 version with the boot system command and did a wr mem. When I reboot I still come up to 7.04...can anyone help here?

TIA,

Gary

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gary,

Based upon the "show bootvar", you have the pix configured to

1. Load 7.0(4) code if available in flash or

2. Load 7.2(1) code if 7.0(4) is not available.

You are getting the below error message "ERROR: Unable to set this URL, it has already been set. Remove the first instance before adding this one" because the pix already has a "boot system flash:/pix721.bin" configured.

Based upon the issue, I "think" that your configuration on the pix has the below lines. Please correct me if I am wrong. The order of the configuration lines are very important when the pix tries and load the image.

boot system flash:/pix704.bin

boot system flash:/pix721.bin

If the above configuration is true, then the pix will try and load 7.0(4) first and if 7.0(4) is not available, the pix will load 7.2(1)

If you want the pix to load 7.2(1) first, then you need to

1. Remove the "boot system flash:/pix704.bin" by doing a "no boot system flash:/pix704.bin"

2. Then do a "sh run" and make sure there is only one boot statement which is "boot system flash:/pix721.bin"

3. Then add the command ""boot system flash:/pix704.bin"

4. Now, do a show run and make sure that the boot statement looks like this in your configuration. The order of the statements are very important.

5. Do a "wr mem"

6. Reload the pix and then the pix will try and load 7.2(1) first.

This should solve your issue. If not, please post the error that you are receiving and we will try and solve the issue.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Arul

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

Gary,

If you issue command "show bootvar", what is the image/filename under current bootvariable?

It should be 7.21 instead of 7.04.

If this is the case, you can change it using 'boot' command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00806417fe.html#wp1338109

Rgds,

AK

Is see two .bin files when I do a bootvar. Both the pix704.bin and the pix721.bin.

When do a 'boot system flash:pix721.bin' command I get the following error message:

Error: Unable to set this url. It has already been set.

Remove the first instance before adding this one.

TIA,

Gary

Use disk0 instead of flash - they are alised. Flash is used with PIX.

"boot system disk0:pix721.bin"

But make sure pix721.bin appear first before the old v704.

Issue 'sh bootvar' again, and check which one is being used - flash or disk0? If flash, then remove it using 'no boot system flash:xxxxxx' command. Re-enter the same command, but replace flash with disk0.

Disk0 is internal flash, Disk1 is external.

Rgds,

AK

Missing '/'...

It should be ""boot system disk0:/pix721.bin"

No success. I get an invalid input detected ^

at the disk0 part of the command line. I tried the same syntax replacing the disk0 command with the flash command and no success their also...

Can you share what's the 'sh bootvar' and output looks like?

Thanks

The machine making the connection to the pix does not have a floppy drive and is on a isloted network until this issue is solved...I will be back to you, it will just take me a bit as I will need to type the whole error message...brb Thanks, Gary

Hello hornbeck

instead of using disk0 use flash

Thanks for your input...I tried that, using flash in place of disk0, but still no success.

Can't I do a 'squeeze' or something like that and just remove the old image. They both display when I do a sh bootvar.

Gary

the exact message I get when I do a sh bootvar.

BOOT variable flash:/pix704.bin;flash:/pix721.bin

CURRENT boot variable

flash:/pix704.bin;flash:/pix721.bin

CONFIG file variable -

Current CONFIG file variable -

the exact error message I get when I do a

config t# boot system flash:/pix721.bin

Is the following:

ERROR: Unable to set this URL, it has already been set. Remove the first instance before adding this one.

TIA,

Gary

Gary,

Based upon the "show bootvar", you have the pix configured to

1. Load 7.0(4) code if available in flash or

2. Load 7.2(1) code if 7.0(4) is not available.

You are getting the below error message "ERROR: Unable to set this URL, it has already been set. Remove the first instance before adding this one" because the pix already has a "boot system flash:/pix721.bin" configured.

Based upon the issue, I "think" that your configuration on the pix has the below lines. Please correct me if I am wrong. The order of the configuration lines are very important when the pix tries and load the image.

If the above configuration is true, then the pix will try and load 7.0(4) first and if 7.0(4) is not available, the pix will load 7.2(1)

If you want the pix to load 7.2(1) first, then you need to

1. Remove the "boot system flash:/pix704.bin" by doing a "no boot system flash:/pix704.bin"

2. Then do a "sh run" and make sure there is only one boot statement which is "boot system flash:/pix721.bin"

3. Then add the command ""boot system flash:/pix704.bin"

4. Now, do a show run and make sure that the boot statement looks like this in your configuration. The order of the statements are very important.

5. Do a "wr mem"

6. Reload the pix and then the pix will try and load 7.2(1) first.

This should solve your issue. If not, please post the error that you are receiving and we will try and solve the issue.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Arul

You got it! Can't believe I did not see the dual entries in the config...thank you so MUCH!

Gary

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card