Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Pix 515

Hi all,

I've got a Pix that is statically mapping an internal ip to a global. Now my question is when I'm sitting inside the network. I can only reach that equipment with the private address and not with the public. But when I'm on the outside, I currently am able to reach it only by the public address. Arent I suppose to reach it by the public address regardless where I am. And is there a configuration I'm missing to put in my PIX that will allow it. Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES

Re: Pix 515

This is the default PIX behavior. If you're trying to access the resource using DNS, you can use the key word "DNS" after your static command which should do DNS fixups. You need to be runnung 6.2 for this, I believe.

Check the Cisco Docs for more infor regarding the static command.

is

Re: Pix 515

I've experienced this problem -- use the alias command to allow NAT on interfaces with a higher security number (I believe that's what it's for). Anyway, look in your reference book... here's what I did for my alias command (it allowed me to access the global address from the inside interface):

alias ( ) 255.255.255.255

Where:

intf = the interface you're wanting to access the global IP from (ie. your inside interface, etc.)

If you're not doing a one-to-one translation (static for one IP address) then change the subnet mask to reflect that.

Hope that helps!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content