Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 515E - Failed upgrade from ver 6.35 to 721-9

cox
Level 1
Level 1

PIX515E with 128MB RAM & 16MB Flash

I have just tried to upgrade my Pix515E from 6.35 to 7.21-9 in monitor mode. I am able to connect to the tftp server and upload the new image, once the upload is complete my pix just cycles through re-booting and then not being able to find a valid image in flash.

In an effort to correct this I have since tried uploading ver 7.01 as I read in a post that you should upgrade to 7.01 before going to later revisions of ver 7. This also uploads successfully and then starts to scroll the new config of my pix until it reaches the config line for the tftp server and then timesout and reboots.

Does any one have any clues? Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scratchbuild1
Level 1
Level 1

I did that exact same thing about 2 weeks ago - going from 6.3 straight to 7.2 - it doesn't work if you do it directly, and I wound up in monitor mode with a totally erased flash. Fun. However, I can definitely tell you that from that state, if you load the 7.0.5 image from TFTP (in monitor mode) it will work. Have you already read the section in http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_70/pix_upgd/pixupgrd.htm#wp1752751 about doing the monitor mode upgrade? Probably so... I believe that the 7.0.x version knows how to do some special things to the PIX boot loader that change it from being 6.x compatible to being 7.x compatible, that's why you can't go straight to 7.1.x or 7.2.x from 6.3. I wasn't originally planning to do the monitor mode upgrade but my plans were changed when 7.2 erased flash, then was unable to load into flash. ;)

So, you mentioned that when it reaches the config line for tftp server, it times out and reboots... What is the command in your config? Are you loading config from TFTP during startup or something like that?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

scratchbuild1
Level 1
Level 1

I did that exact same thing about 2 weeks ago - going from 6.3 straight to 7.2 - it doesn't work if you do it directly, and I wound up in monitor mode with a totally erased flash. Fun. However, I can definitely tell you that from that state, if you load the 7.0.5 image from TFTP (in monitor mode) it will work. Have you already read the section in http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_70/pix_upgd/pixupgrd.htm#wp1752751 about doing the monitor mode upgrade? Probably so... I believe that the 7.0.x version knows how to do some special things to the PIX boot loader that change it from being 6.x compatible to being 7.x compatible, that's why you can't go straight to 7.1.x or 7.2.x from 6.3. I wasn't originally planning to do the monitor mode upgrade but my plans were changed when 7.2 erased flash, then was unable to load into flash. ;)

So, you mentioned that when it reaches the config line for tftp server, it times out and reboots... What is the command in your config? Are you loading config from TFTP during startup or something like that?

Worked a treat. Thats a pint I owe you!

Many thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card