Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX 515E Failover

Hi.

Having just read a doc regarding how failover is implemented on PIX 515Es - I noticed something that I'm hoping somebody out there will have a good answer for:

"It is recommended that you connect the Primary and Secondary PIXes with a dedicated switch. Do not use crossover cables."

This is talking about the LAN failover link and the Stateful failover link. What I want to know is why it is not recommended and what the issue is with using crossover cables? Surely putting in another switch to connect the units introduces a point of failure that isn't required?

FYI the doc I'm refering to is http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a0080094ea7.shtml#before

Thanks,

Colin

2 REPLIES

Re: PIX 515E Failover

Sure, that switch could be another point of failure.

But think about this, the failover will occur when the lan failover interface loses carrier. If you are using a crossover cable, and one of your pix's goes to toast, what happens with the other pix's ethernet interface? If you are using a crossover cable, it will see the interface down as well.

Big problem...the stateful lan failover link needs to have a connection up..hence, the reason for the switch.

Maybe not the best explanation..but you get the idea ?

Re: PIX 515E Failover

Makes perfect sense, thanks.

Colin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content