cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E hangs after upgrade to 7.2.(2)

luckymace
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded our PIX 515E from 7.1 to 7.2.(2) about 6 weeks ago and noticed that it use more RAM, (about 43MB vs 34MB in previous version). After about 3 weeks I noticed i could not access through the ASDM, only telnet. Today the same issue, however this time, no access, telnet, ssh, or ASDM. Also, Cisco clients could not connect, most LAN to LAN vpn's were still up. Any clues as to why this is happening, am I running low on RAM?? After a reboot it works fine. Any help would be grealty appreciated.

PIX 515E

3 interfaces

64MB RAM

IOS 7.2.(2)

CPU rarely goes over 5% and RAM used is usually about 43MB.

Thanks in advance

L. Mace

4 Replies 4

fmeetz
Level 4
Level 4

I think that problem could be because PIX amy not be able to handle the VPN load or some VPN client may be sending excessive traffic. The problem also could be because of a faulty RAM module.

We are probably going to upgrade the ram to 128 MB.

Thanks for your input.

bamnocadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I had similar issue and the problem was related to size of the RAM. I upgraded 64MB to 128MB and the problem gone.

What PIX licence do you have?

Thanks.

Ok, I'll probably try a ram upgrade, we were thinking that might be an issue. Your input seems to confirm this.

License inf:

Licensed features for this platform:

Maximum Physical Interfaces : 3

Maximum VLANs : 10

Inside Hosts : Unlimited

Failover : Disabled

VPN-DES : Enabled

VPN-3DES-AES : Enabled

Cut-through Proxy : Enabled

Guards : Enabled

URL Filtering : Enabled

Security Contexts : 0

GTP/GPRS : Disabled

VPN Peers : Unlimited

This platform has a Restricted (R) license.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card