Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E Memory Upgrade

shakeelahmadch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

i was about to purchase a recommended PIX-515E-MEM128 for my redundant PIX ...

before doing so , one of my coleague told that PIX required a SDRAM (which actually is true) - so we can plug any good kingston PC133 SDRAM in it...

i dont want to get into shipping and buying costs ... please share your thoughts about it..

Shakeel

4 Replies 4

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

To be honest many equipments in Cisco do use SDRAM. Buying any RAM other than Cisco certified or bought under cisco will render your support down. This means, in case you face problems with the PIX and Cisco discovers that you have SDRAM not purchased as recommended they won't support the unit. Many people have taken the risk and everything seems to be up and running. However, be carefull not all SDRAM are the same you have also to match the BUS speed of the PIX board.

It is up to you to take the risk. One more thing to tell you, you may not face any problem until the new SDRAM is being used by the PIX.

Regards,

hello haddad, thanks lets give it a try today :) i'll post here once i have some results

so i did tried :)

OK the actual mem in PIX 515E was PCI 100, i plugged two modules of Kingston 128MB each (PC133 Bus)

and guess what it worked perfectly with 256MB of memory - *BUT* only issue i had that new RAM was tall enough so cover was not comin on to it :)

how sad -- i ran firewall without cover for a while and it was running fine with good memory allocation - for this time i have placed the orginal mem and cover back :)

lets buy recomended from cisco --

Shakeel

Well, it is nice to give it a try. :-)

Please rate if you find my post helpful,

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card