Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

PIX 515E-R VPN, IPSEC / IKE Tunnel limit

Just wondering if anyone has ran into this issue. Running a PIX 515E-R as firewall / VPN device. We have a 506 connected to it (site to site vpn) and various dynamic clients at remote offices (around 9 connections). When we reach 8 VPN tunnels, the PIX continues to allow connections but does not create a tunnel between it and the client.

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: PIX 515E-R VPN, IPSEC / IKE Tunnel limit

Don't think it is a limit - you can make 10 IPSec tunnels with a 501, and 20 (IIRC) with a 506. I don't think there is any software limit with the 515. The sites that fail to connect - have they ever connected successfully? Dynamic clients - how big is the ip local pool? Any log entries?

Re: PIX 515E-R VPN, IPSEC / IKE Tunnel limit

Hey thanks for the reply. I did not think there was a limit per say as much as a bug we have run into.

It seems to be that we cannot create more than 8 tunnels. The PIX continues to deploy IP addresses from the local IP pool and allow connections, it just fails to create the tunnel. We have a pool of about 20 IP addresses. All the clients have connected at one time or another. Right now it's like musical chairs first 8 get in, after that they get a connectrion just no tunnel. It's various connection types, dynamic, site-site static, etc. Nothing of note or that I understand has shown up in the log related to this.

Views
Helpful
Replies