cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 525E - will it work in our environment?

johnsapunov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

we have a small block of class C ip addresses (less than 10), and need to host approximately 100 web sites, and each IP will represent about 20 sites.

This is normally possible using "host header information" and we would like to be able to use the same thing after we install a Pix 525e firewall to protect the web server. I am assuming this is possible? what we would do is map static outside IP addressess to inside IP addresses such as "static (inside, outside) 205.55.35.133 192.168.10.133".

Will there be a problem with multiple Web sites being mapped to a single IP i.e. will the PIX firewall pass that information to IIS and not discard it?

Much obliged for your answers!

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I was referring to HTTP inspect/fixup, but I dont believe this covers the HOST header.

Glen

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

glen.messenger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John,

A PIX by default, with just a static, wont strip/change the HOST header in HTTP requests, so any translation will still retain this information, I believe.

Anyone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Good luck,

Glen

Yes should work. PIX won't look at the http header. It will look at layer 4 and layer 3 part of the packet, apply the access list and then matches the Static NAT.

Hope this answers your questions,

Regards,

Hi,

I was referring to HTTP inspect/fixup, but I dont believe this covers the HOST header.

Glen

Nope also the fixup won't look at the host header. However, it inspects any milicious command within the HTTP request.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Thanks everyone for your replies...!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card