Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 6.3 Features across the hardware platforms

vmolinaro
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

No doubt you've been asked this a million times over. Did a search but couldn't come up with anything.

Are the features described in the PIX 6.3 Software Guide the same across all the platforms (from PIX501 baby to the PIX535 grand daddy!)?

If different, can someone direct me to a document that explains what is, or is not, included in the smaller platforms compared to the bigger platforms?

Cheers

Vito

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scoclayton
Level 7
Level 7

Vito,

This is one the beauties of the PIX. All platforms from 535 to 501 run the same images. There are a few minor limitations on the 501 and 506 with respect to some of the IPSec features (no manual keys as an example) but for the most part, everything you can do on the 535, you can also do on the 501 and 506. There are some physical limitations with respect to connections, IPSec tunnels, etc.. on these devices but that is probably obvious. Hope this helps.

Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

steven.wilson
Level 1
Level 1

I have managed to configure a baby 501 to do lots of the features of 6.3.3

I therefore think that they can all be used.

cheers

Steve.

scoclayton
Level 7
Level 7

Vito,

This is one the beauties of the PIX. All platforms from 535 to 501 run the same images. There are a few minor limitations on the 501 and 506 with respect to some of the IPSec features (no manual keys as an example) but for the most part, everything you can do on the 535, you can also do on the 501 and 506. There are some physical limitations with respect to connections, IPSec tunnels, etc.. on these devices but that is probably obvious. Hope this helps.

Scott

Thanks guys.

Vito

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card