Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX and RIP :

ola
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

My problem is that with RIP on a PIX, we can't advertise outside network on the inside, but this is possible with ospf.

Which protocol is correctly inplemented in PIX OS ? if both, which next release will support RIP to work like OSPF ?

thank in advance

Regards

Olivier

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scoclayton
Level 7
Level 7

Olivier,

As you have seen, RIP and OSPF on the PIX are implemented very differently. RIP is limited to passive listening on an interface and/or sending out a default (0.0.0.0) route on the RIP network. So, to answer your question RIP is not designed to work like OSPF does by advertising networks on wach side of the PIX. They are both correctly implemented (per the design) and I highly doubt that the RIP implementation will ever be changed to work like OSPF does. Hope this helps.

Scott

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

scoclayton
Level 7
Level 7

Olivier,

As you have seen, RIP and OSPF on the PIX are implemented very differently. RIP is limited to passive listening on an interface and/or sending out a default (0.0.0.0) route on the RIP network. So, to answer your question RIP is not designed to work like OSPF does by advertising networks on wach side of the PIX. They are both correctly implemented (per the design) and I highly doubt that the RIP implementation will ever be changed to work like OSPF does. Hope this helps.

Scott

rgrcommo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you can use EIGRP, RIP and IGRP to pass thru the PIX if you don't want to use BGP. OSPF will work in 6.3 but you can use the other protocols in 6.2

There are (3) ways to do this:

1. Double nat on PIX

2. Using 1 to 1 networks just a different subnets

3. Via a tunnel

Most people do not realize that the PIX will pass their multicast traffic - they say it has to be tunneled or run thru BGP - not true.

-jambrose

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: