Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

PIX and Windows Network Load Balancing Service (NLBS/WLBS)

Hi,

I am having an issue with PIX 6.3(3) creating a static inbound tunnel to web servers running NLBS/WLBS in both unicast and multicast mode. Has anyone been able to get this working?

Thanks

6 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: PIX and Windows Network Load Balancing Service (NLBS/WLBS)

It should be transparent to the PIX which isn't the case for the switch handling NLB traffics. But this is another issue.

Regards

Ben

Community Member

First, is load balancing working well?

Community Member

Yes. I've used it well with ISA without any problem (of course because of the type of firewall that ISA is) but the PIX refuses to work. Can't connect through the inbound tunnel to the load balanced address.

Community Member

We have implemented it in customer site, ISA/NLB accessed over a PIX, as i said earlier, it was transparent to the PIX. The PIX never knows about NLB stuffs.

Regards

Ben

Community Member

I understand how it would work behind an ISA firewall.

What I'm talking about is running NLBS directly behind a PIX - because the machines reply with different MACs? Am I wrong?

Community Member

Hi,

The PIX shouldn't take care of which MAC address the packet is coming from. It takes care about IP/ICMP/TCP/UDP. For example, the packet may come from 2 or more differents inside routers before reaching the PIX which is the same case you have except you have differents hosts instead of routers.

Ben

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content