cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX as DHCP client and Routing

jamiesachs
Level 1
Level 1

I used the command "ip address outside dhcp setroute" on my PIX 506 because it's connected to a cable modem. The setroute argument creates a default gateway for the router and the Cisco documentation says not to use the "route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0. x.x.x.x" command. However, the PIX won't route traffic unless there's the "route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x" where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the default gateway that you need to find by doing a sh route command. Since it's DHCP the default gateway might change in time and it's not very elegant to have to manually enter the DfG address all the time. Is there another way to route traffic outside? Thank you

3 Replies 3

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

Have you actually experienced any problems?

I think the ip address outside dhcp setroute command is working fine. It uses dhcp, and the dhcp client upon receipt of lease issues the route statement :

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.2.3.4 , as 1.2.3.4 was given in the lease options. Once this is done, the sh route command will properly show the routing table, with the default route in it.

I have a 501 at home on a cable modem with ip address outside dhcp setroute command, and all has been well.

Matt

Thanks Matt

When I issued the sh route command it did not show "route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x" , it only showed the default route to the next hop router which, of course, only let me ping addresses on the network connected to the PIX. But I'll try again this evening as I'm sure I've configured it correctly and this could be user error. Thanks

Jamie

A default route to the next hop router should be fine - the next hop router should route everything out.

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x is a default route statement

It should should up in sh route as

outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x 1 ....

IIRC

Matt

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card