Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

PIX as Dhcp server

I know the PIX can act as a DHCP server, but can it have MAC-to-IP reservations?

I would like my PIX to issue dhcp for our internal network, but I need to have a few reservations for clients.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: PIX as Dhcp server

Hi,

This does come up from time to time but I'm afriad the answer is still that the PIX cannot do DHCP reservations. The PIX DHCP server functionality is meant to be *very* basic. The idea was really to provide some DHCP server functionality to SOHO environments where another DHCP server did not exist. I doubt we will ever add this functionality to the PIX since other more full featured DHCP servers are available. You can do this with IOS DHCP if this is an option. Sorry for the news but I hope this helps save you some research time.

Scott

2 REPLIES

Hi,

This does come up from time to time but I'm afriad the answer is still that the PIX cannot do DHCP reservations. The PIX DHCP server functionality is meant to be *very* basic. The idea was really to provide some DHCP server functionality to SOHO environments where another DHCP server did not exist. I doubt we will ever add this functionality to the PIX since other more full featured DHCP servers are available. You can do this with IOS DHCP if this is an option. Sorry for the news but I hope this helps save you some research time.

Scott

Community Member

I figured that was the answer. I just was hoping that it would be possible to save me from running a machine dedicated to one small purpose.

thanks

-C

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content