cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX Backup Image in Flash

mhcraig
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me the boot behavior of the PIX when it comes to recovering from a corrupt/invalid image in flash?

Example: In flash I have 2 images:

image1.bin

image2.bin

What (if possible) are my options to have 2 images and a boot sequence so it tries a specific image first. This would be useful in an upgrade situation in case the newly applied image is corrupt or for any other reason can't boot the PIX.

This may be the default behavior - I'm just looking for confirmation or more details. Do I specify it using: "boot system flash:/image1.bin" and then will it try another if "image1.bin" is not successful?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You should be able to enter multiple boot commands with the same storage eg.

boot system flash:/

etc..

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hutch

You don't say which version of pix but attached is a link to the command reference for 7.2. You can specify up to 4 boot commands and the pix will try them in order -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/command/reference/b_72.html#wp1339358

Jon

Sorry about that - I'm running v 8.0(3) on a PIX 525.

One issue I'm going to have is that the PIX only has 16MB of flash and between the ASDM and the Image itself I don't have enough room to store an alternate system boot image. Not sure if it's upgradable to 32mb+ I'll have to check. (Obviously I could always delete the asdm image and clear room for an upgrade - just thinking longer term.)

After reading the link you provided I'm still unclear on the "boot system flash:/pix803.bin" syntax. Can I enter multiple flash locations (repeat that command) or do I have to select a different location/medium? It seems the PIX525 can't boot from TFTP(?).

Thanks for your advice.

You should be able to enter multiple boot commands with the same storage eg.

etc..

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card