Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX DHCP and Network Neighorhood

I hope you folks don't mind all these questions - I do do a lot of searching and reading and only ask if I can't find an appropriate answer.

This may not even be a PIX question but my gut tells me I am missing something. I have the PIX assigning addresses to the machines via DHCP. I know I can resolve my problem by setting up all the machines on the LAN to static addresses but I'm trying to learn something.

The problem I am currently trying to solve is this: Windows 2000 Network Neighborhood does not display the machines on the LAN.

I do not have a Domain Name server on the LAN but since I can ping each machine using it's machine name, I think hat tells me that the PIX has knowledge of what address it assigned to each machine. The question is how do I configure the PIX and/or the workstations so that Network Neighborhood can get to that relationship and properly display the machines on the LAN.

If this isn't really a PIX concern, let me know and I'll see what I can find out from the MS Network experts.

As always I thank you for any feedback.

2 REPLIES
Gold

Re: PIX DHCP and Network Neighorhood

assuming all the hosts are connected to a switch environment and the pix is acting just an internet gateway, i believe the issue is not related to the pix.

for all local traffic, host will attempt to arp the destination mac and send the traffic directly. in other words, the pix will not be involved.

Re: PIX DHCP and Network Neighorhood

Thanks for responding. I don't think I asked the question correctly which isn't surprising given my level of understanding of this stuff. Let me try to explain a little better.

Before I purchased the PIX I was running WinGate on a dedicated computer as an interface to the internet. The second NIC in the WinGate computer was connected to a switch and all of the computers on my LAN were then connected to that switch. Everything worked fine including network browsing and the proper display of the computers in Network Places.

When I took down the WinGate computer and switch I basically wound up with the configuration you surmised above., they were effectively replaced with the 501 PIX as the interface to the internet and it's built in 4 port switch as the common connection for the other computers.

It looks like WinGate might have been providing some service that I am now lacking (it autoconfigured itself and I don't know what all was turned on or off- it just worked) that I either haven't set up on the 501 or it is lacking some feature (which I find hard to believe) that was enabling Network Places to work properly. The documents mention 501 DNS and WINS services but doesn't have details enough for me to determine if the answer might lay in those features.

I hope this explanation does a better job of illustrating why I came here first to work the problem rather than somewhere else...since I made no changes to the computers I would have thought that things would have worked as before and I want to be certain that I haven't left something unconfigured in the 501 before I start chasing the wrong thing.

thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content