cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX: does it route packets on the inside interfece

ifinet
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PIX with 2 interfaces: "inside" and "outside". I have no problem when a packet coming from a "inside net" PC (C) has to go outside. But if I have to reach an other network that is "inside" (192.168.0.0), it doesn't work; let's see the scheme below:

A

|

---192.168.0.0/24---

|

B C

| |

---172.31.0.0/16 (inside)---

|

PIX

|

----(outside)---

|

R----> Internet

---------------------------------------

I need to reach A from C (PIX is the default gateway of C and it has a specific route to A passing through B)

The question is: does the PIX route packets coming from inside to an other gateway that is on the same (inside) interface?

3 Replies 3

0rsnaric
Level 1
Level 1

No. The pix will not forward packets back out the interface it recieved them on. So even if you put a static route on the pix pointing back to the subnet A, the pix will drop the packets.

~rls

shannong
Level 4
Level 4

Assuming you have a router at B to get to A, you need make make that router B the default gateway of the C subnet.

The problem with making B your defualt-gateway is those nodes will start getting "icmp redirect". You should redisign your network so that the network that connects router b to PIX is a 30 bit. Like the first reply said, PIX is not ment to route inside traffic.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card