Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

PIX failover config

Is the standby address on the interface pingable in normal mode (Normal mode meaning primary is still active and 2nd one is still in standby mode)

The reason to ask this is one of our customer configured the standby address which is used for another device. I am thinking this is not right. But just need to confirm this. Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: PIX failover config

Hi ... the standby interfaces is only used for failover communications it can't be pinged however you should get an available IP instead of using the same .. this is mainly to keep your set up clean.

I hope it helps ... please rate it if it does !!!

The standby address should be unique to the failover firewall. You should not use an IP address already in use by another device. And yes, it is possible to ping the standby ip address, if icmp is allowed on that interface. i.e. "icmp permit [] "

You can even login to the secondary firewall using the failover IP address, but do not change the configuration. It's useful for when you want to intentionally failover the firewall. (Login to the secondary and run "failover active".)

Jeff

Agree with Jeff I have got mixed up with my previous post ... please disregard the "it can't be pinged" part of it .. !!!

Views
Helpful
Replies