Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX failover question

I have two PIX 515 to be connected in a failover configuration. I want to configure "stateful" failover which requires a dedicated fastethernet interface on each PIX. Do I still need to connect the special serial failover cable between the two PIX or just the failover ethernet connection between the two would be enough ? I want to locate the two PIX in two different rooms (for disaster recovery reasons), and obviously the length of the serial failover cable will not be enough. What do you suggest in such a situation?

Appreciate any help.

Thank you

2 REPLIES

Re: PIX failover question

This is available as a new feature in PIX 6.2, and below I have quoted it from 6.2 release manual -

------------------------------------------------------------

LAN-based Failover extends PIX Firewall failover functionality to operate through a dedicated LAN interface, without the serial failover cable. This overcomes the distance limitation of the current serial cable. Failover configuration synchronization can now occur through the serial cable or a LAN interface. However, the PIX Firewall failover pair must be on the same subnet, and the PIX Failover model remains a hot-standby model, with one unit active and the other standby.

For LAN-based Failover, use a dedicated switch or hub (or VLAN) to connect the PIX Firewall failover pair so that the secondary unit can detect the failure of the dedicated LAN failover interface of the primary unit and become active. Crossover Ethernet cables cannot be used to connect the LAN-based Failover interface. Additionally, we recommend that you dedicate a LAN interface for LAN-based Failover, but the interface can be shared with Stateful Failover under lightly loaded configurations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: PIX failover question

thank you very much for the tip.

appreciate it

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content