cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX firewall licensing

boonteongng
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of redundant PIX firewall 515E, running unrestricted and failover license respectively. I would like to purchase a spare PIX for immediate replacement during failure while waiting for RMA. What license should I get ? Can I get a restricted license and use back my original unrestricted license during replacement later on ?

6 Replies 6

edadios
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The license key is tied to the device serial number. You have to get it for the specific serial number of the pix.

Regards,

When I temporary replace the PIX with my spare unit while waiting for RMA, can I use the spare unit's serial number to request for an unrestricted license key ?

when you apply it to the new pix, it still would not work.

The license, is tied to the serial number and tied to the machine.

levter
Level 1
Level 1

I hope you already figured out about license..

I think that it is better idea to by smartnet support than have spare pix.

If you have failover configuration than you already protected from down time.

By having smartnet you will be able get replacement unit. Timeframe depend on smartnet type. You can get it next business day most of the time.

As far as I remember. If you have failover pix(secondary) running as active then ones a day it will be rebooted. It's for do not let you run failover (secondary) pix as active when you remove primary pix.

If my secondary PIX is active, how long will it last before it rebooted ? within a day ? Normally, RMA will take quite a number of days to arrive.

It would stay active, until you issue a command to make it change state.

Regards,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card