Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIX, Fixup SMTP and Duplicate emails

I am going to be talking to a customer who was told by a consultant that their PIX using the "fixup protocol smtp 25" command was the cause of duplicate email's on their mail server.

They are running 6.1.4 code level and I can not see any way that the PIX could be causing this to happen. I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: PIX, Fixup SMTP and Duplicate emails

Hi,

What is your SMTP server software? Is it using ESMTP?

What happens when you turn off fixup smtp? Do you still receive duplicate emails?

Thanks

Nadeem

The mail server is a Lotus Notes server with an smtp gateway.

They are not getting duplicate messages from all sources just some.

And the real question is "does the PIX generate these duplucate messages or is it something that the server is doing that is causing the problem?"

I want to be able to point to the correct piece of the network that is causing the problem. If it is the PIX, then we work on it. If it is the server, let them understand what they need to make it work correctly.

Silver

Notes might use ESMTP. MS exchange definitely does - I had problems with multiple receptions of the same mail, but only from certain hosts. Just disable fixup protocol smtp

Cisco Employee

PIX will not generate the duplicate messages, how could that be. What seems to be the case is duplicate transmissions from sender.

Thanks

Nadeem

SMTP Mail Guard only allows for the 7 specific commands defined in the RFC. Exchange uses an enhanced version for SMTP.

data

helo

mail

noop

quit

rset

rcpt

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content