cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX global and nat parameters

cisco-miix
Level 1
Level 1

My PIX configuration has two global and two nat parameters.

global (outside) 1 65.209.4.220-65.209.4.253 netmask 255.255.255.192

global (outside) 1 65.209.4.254 netmask 255.255.255.192

nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0

nat (intf2) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0

I can understand the two nat commands more or less, but I can't figure out why the two global commands and what they do. Can anyone clarify?

Jim

jconstan@miix.com

609-896-2404 x1279

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Oh I should have read your question more carefully. The 1st Global is allocating the addresses to the hosts from inside and from intf2.

Once the pool is out of address, then it will use the 2nd global and this will now start doing PATing rather than NATing as was the case in the 1st global.

So in effect, until all the addresses in the global pool are exhausted, all these host will be NATed. After that, the new hosts going out will be PATed with the .254 address.

Hope this clears up.

thanks,

yatin

View solution in original post

tvanginneken
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

the first 33 hosts (220 to 253)that go to the outside get NATTED (one-to-one translation).

If the NAT pool is exhausted, then all the other hosts that connect to the outside get PATTED (many-to-one translation) behind 65.209.4.254

Kind Regards,

Tom

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ywadhavk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

nat(inside) will qualify the hosts behind the "inside" interface to be NATed to those in the global pool and go out.

nat(intf2) will qualify the hosts behind the "intf2" interface to be NATed to those in the global pool and go out.

Thanks,

yatin

Thank you. I did assume that the NAT commands worked that way, but the GLOBAL commands are more of a mystery. It seems as though my external IP address is always 65.209.4.254...leading me to believe there may be something wrong...perhaps wth the two GLOBALS....

Oh I should have read your question more carefully. The 1st Global is allocating the addresses to the hosts from inside and from intf2.

Once the pool is out of address, then it will use the 2nd global and this will now start doing PATing rather than NATing as was the case in the 1st global.

So in effect, until all the addresses in the global pool are exhausted, all these host will be NATed. After that, the new hosts going out will be PATed with the .254 address.

Hope this clears up.

thanks,

yatin

tvanginneken
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

the first 33 hosts (220 to 253)that go to the outside get NATTED (one-to-one translation).

If the NAT pool is exhausted, then all the other hosts that connect to the outside get PATTED (many-to-one translation) behind 65.209.4.254

Kind Regards,

Tom

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card