cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX in continuous loop

mikef
Level 1
Level 1

In preparation for upgrading the primary 525 PIX to version 7, I tried installing v7 on my lab 506e. Using monitor mode the install failed and now the 506e is in a reboot loop.

I tried using re-installing version 7 like the upgrade troubleshooting suggest, but that did not resolve it. I tried installing PIX635.bin, but the system continues to reboot. I also tried the downgrade option, but that doesn't work in monitor mode.

The 506e just keeps rebooting indicating that there is no bootable image. How can I get the unit functional again?

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

grant.maynard
Level 4
Level 4

PIX v7 doesn't run on PIX501 or PIX506! You should have read the release notes.

Can you get to monitor mode (press Excape when booting) and TFTP from there?

Tell me about it, anyway I can get into monitor mode and tftp, however when I try copy pix635.bin I get the same thing. It goes through the install, reboots and then tells me there is no bootable image. Now I get the following error

An internal assertion check has failed.

Copy the folloowing message exeactly as it appears and call support

assertion "addr < sfmm_chip_size" failed: file "../flash/sfmm.c", line 249

PIX v7 uses a different flash format, so depending on how far the "upgrade" got, it may be that.

Read the section "Recover from a Faulty Upgrade" here - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a0080094a5d.shtml

It says you need the file erasedisk.bin, which I can't find on CCO.

Thanks for the replies, Since I have SmartNet, Cisco is sending me a replacement firewall.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card