cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX interface... VLAN command

mallenson
Level 4
Level 4

I have a lab PIX with 6.3(3) on it and I tried to setup a logical interface with the following:

"interface ethernet2 10 logical"

This fails to create a logical interface, do I have to create a vlan somehow first?

PIX is 515 (Not the E type) and has a restricted version software release with only DES enabled if that matters?

A sample configuration of using VLANs on PIX would be great if anyone has one.

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

what did the pix say after you entered that command? what does a show interface show?

pmays
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The PIX 515R can support 3 logical interfaces.

Check here for config information:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/config/bafwcfg.htm#1113411

hopefully that helps...

This helped a lot, Thanks!

FYI, I spent another day finding another problem, here is the scoop if your interested...

When you setup the vlan with the "physical" entry the firewall uses a different native vlan than expected. Just by luck I found that if for instance you enter.

interface ethernet2 vlan2 physical

the firewall uses a native vlan 1

if you use interface ethernet2 vlan1 physical

the firewall uses native vlan 2

This continues to flip flop if you use

vlan 3 - 4

vlan 5 - 6

etc..

I had to use opposite native vlan on switch side to get traffic to pass on native vlan. Did not find a bug, but this is not the way it should work!

Again, Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I am trying to put VLAN 1 in a trunk betweend pix and catalyst 65000, but I have issues,. Have you done it?, and How?.

Thank you for help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: