Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX occasionally reboots by itself

alitster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a know problem or not but I've had the feeling that our PIX has been rebooting it's self every so often, I'm unable to determin how frequently this is.

I know this because I've added rules to the access-list and now they are no longer there, no one else has been playing with it.

Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.2(2)

Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 2.1(1)

Compiled on Fri 07-Jun-02 17:49 by morlee

pix-uk0 up 1 hour 54 mins

Hardware: PIX-515E, 64 MB RAM, CPU Pentium II 433 MHz

Flash E28F128J3 @ 0x300, 16MB

BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

Encryption hardware device : IRE2141 with 2048KB, HW:1.0, CGXROM:1.9, FW:6.5

0: ethernet0: address is 000c.3012.f624, irq 10

1: ethernet1: address is 000c.3012.f625, irq 11

2: ethernet2: address is 00e0.b606.a50f, irq 11

3: ethernet3: address is 00e0.b606.a50e, irq 10

4: ethernet4: address is 00e0.b606.a50d, irq 9

5: ethernet5: address is 00e0.b606.a50c, irq 5

Is there any reason why it would be doing this?

Is it possible to log either to a syslog or radius server with the PIX boots/reboots?

Regards,

Alan

4 Replies 4

mhoda
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Alan,

Do you have FailOver setup ? If you connect a console, then you can get the traceback (if any). Yes, syslog would give you the maximum info. Thanks, Mynul

Hi Mynul,

No, we don't have failover setup. It's only acting as a basic firewall with VPN facilities.

OK, thanks - I'll try leaving a terminal plugged into it over night and see what happens.

Regards,

Alan

Hello to all,

The same kind of problem occured in our PIX 520. PIX Firewall version is 6.2(2) and PDM version is 2.1(1). Five different VPN tunnel is currently working on it and we use that PIX as an external firewall.

It seems that at the time we change the VPN configuration (say: add new client into the access-list) or send a great amount of data over the VPN connections, PIX reloads. Failover immediately preempts the operation if the primary PIX fails. We could not detect a valid reason for the failure and still keep our eyes on the PIX. Any aid will be useful.

Thanks,

Onur

Hi,

Up until a couple of months ago we were using a PIX-515, not the 'E' version, and with only the three interfaces and no VPN accelerator. The config was vertially identical apart from the rules for the additional interface. It was running the same PIX Firewall Version and PDM, I did not experience any similar problems with that one.

Regards,

Alan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card