Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Pix password recovery - Unknown version

Hi Experts.

My Customer has lost their console password and don't even know what's the OS version running on the Pix.

What's the most safe way to get the OS version?

I don't have a box to test but I guess that power cycling it will display the OS Version. Am I correct? Will *every* OS version display itself during the boot process?

Thank you

michele

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Pix password recovery - Unknown version

You can make an informed guess by checking on the date of purchase of the PIX. Another possibility is that you start by assuming some version (which is probably what you will end up doing). I have been told that attempting a pasword recovery using the recovery file for another version should not damage the PIX. Guess, you should cross check this before proceeding.

Try this:

Locate two floppy disks and load one with 'np51.bin' and the other 'np61.bin'. Insert one disk, reboot and see if it works. If the other one doesn't work, the other should. :)

Hope this helps.

--re

No expert here, but you do not need a password to get the PIX version.

If you are able to make a console connection (not telnet), sho ver should provide the answer.

Views
Helpful
Replies