cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX Performance Tuning

abatson
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know of any third-party private sites that compile information on performance-tuning of the PIX? I'm looking for something along the lines of http://www.phoneboy.com -which deals with CheckPoint FW-1.

I need to know the bare-bones of what I need running to support my functions & nothing more. Example, if I'm not doing any NAT, there are a bunch of Fixups I don't need to have enabled, etc etc..

--Alex

4 Replies 4

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

the pix, as it does not have much application level proxying, is one of the fastest firewalls out there. there really is not much to worry about. one thing to look for is reverse dns entries for all of your ip addresses in use, as if they are used for static/global commands for web browsing, the lack of reverse entries may slow things down.

If my PIX is not doing any NATting, or Proxying, there's no need for the firewall to do anything above layer-4 (UDP/TCP ports). That's where the performance tuning comes in. The Fixups do things & make decisions higher than layer-4, and the higher up in the OSI model you go, the slower you get. Granted my 525 has a Pentium-III processor at 600Mhz, and 256MB RAM.

-Alex

You can turn the fixups off if you like...

no fixup protocol .........

chad

As long as I'm not doing any NAT, you're certain that I don't need any fixups at all? Are there certain ones that are more resource intensive than others?

-alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: