Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX rebooting

What could be the reasons for a PIX 535 device to reboot itself 2 to 3 times in 24hrs. Even tried with a spare PIX device and still the same. It used to work fine a month back. Any help on this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Faiz,

There are few bugs in 6.3(3) that causes the system to reload or crash. This includes the run out of memory, VPN configuration, authentication, ...etc...I would really advise you to upgrade your IOS to 6.3(5) and if applicable (check memory requirements) upgrade to 7.0(4) or 7.1(1)...

If you want a step by step troubleshoot, please post the config file. Exclude the public ips and passwords

Regards

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

oabduo983
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Faiz,

Have you tried upgrading the IOS to the latest?

If this does not work, you can post your configuration (exclude the public IP's and the encrypted password)!

Regards,

Osama

jstrine
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any output from the "show crashinfo" command?

i believe that 'show crashinfo' is available in IOS 7, i am using 6.1

any known issues here.

I need to add something more, there are couple of other firewalls that has restarted since 2 days. Is there some kind of a bug in IOS 6.1-3 thats causing this. Any helping advice welcome.

Faiz,

There are few bugs in 6.3(3) that causes the system to reload or crash. This includes the run out of memory, VPN configuration, authentication, ...etc...I would really advise you to upgrade your IOS to 6.3(5) and if applicable (check memory requirements) upgrade to 7.0(4) or 7.1(1)...

If you want a step by step troubleshoot, please post the config file. Exclude the public ips and passwords

Regards

is failover configured? is it part of a failover set?

yes failover is configured. btw i have upgraded the PIX OS to 7.0 and the problem seems to be solved. the PIX is not rebooting from then. the PIX seems to be behaving normally now. thanks for the help guys.

Without really knowing how it is configured I can just point you to a few bugs to see if they may be the culprit

CSCdv57570

Pix crashes when vpn client 3.1 connects

CSCdw64258

Pix crash with traceback triggered by uauth

CSCdx89579

PIX 525 Crashes intermittently

CSCdz07673

PIX - SSH via CW2000 will crash PIX during Inventory Update

CSCdx35823

Unexpected reaction to TACACS+/RADIUS - HTTP authentication

CSCeb01565

PIX crash upon receipt of malformed IPSec/ESP packet - manual keying

There are several more. I would upgrade if possible.

DC

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card