cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX Syslog for Win2000

mflanigan
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know of a Windows syslog utility that can run under W2K and be started as a service? My customer is running the Kiwi Syslog Daemon, which is an excellent package, but apparently cannot be started as a service - they don't want to leave the server logged in all the time in order to get continuous logging. A PIX-aware package like Kiwi would be ideal, but it would be sufficient just to get basic syslog message archiving.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

chris.moore
Level 1
Level 1

It's not free, but Opensystems makes a product called PrivateI, which runs as a service. It gives you much more than just a simple syslog (alerting, reporting, remote web access, filtering, enhanced queries, etc.)........ I would avoid this product however if you plan to deploy it in a large-scale network, as it does not scale all that well, and the last few releases are buggy. Unfortunately, this is not a market with lots of competition, so you this is probably the best you're going to get if you willing to pay.

stevedoyle
Level 1
Level 1

Kiwi will run as a service on Win2K - You just need to have the correct version. Launch the Syslog console and one of the menu options is "Install As Service"

Thanks, I was not aware of that.

mike.scaggs
Level 1
Level 1

Check out winsyslog.com Not bad for 50.00 bucks. If you need more look at solarwinds or the ultimate, Ciscoworks...

Scaggs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card