Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX to PIX VPN tunnel versus Cisco VPN sw client to Cisco VPN concentrator

Hi all,

I need to know if a PIX to PIX VPN tunnel would introduce more latency than a VPN link using Cisco VPN software client software to a Cisco VPN concentrator.

On my side is a PIX515 running 5.3(4) which also handles corporate Internet traffic. The other side is a PIX525 with 6.1(3). Accessing remote servers thru the tunnel from my side is noticeably slower than the same access but using the software client.

Is there some way to monitor cpu utilization on 5.3(4)? I realize 6.0(1) supports "show cpu usage" for this, but outside of upgrading to 6.x is there another way?

TIA,

Jericho

1 Reply 1

mike-greene
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, to my knowledge there is no such command in 5.3.4. If your 515 is passing alot of internet traffic, then this will slow the VPN down. The only way to fix this on a 515 and above is to install a VAC to offload the encryption/decryption to a coprocessor. The client to concentrator option would definitely work much better because the concentrators job in life is VPN control and not firewalling. Both of these pieces of hardware run around $4000 msrp.

Hope that helps.