Views
Helpful
Replies

pix upgrade to unrestricted

Carlos A. Silva
Level 3
Level 3

hi:

when you purchase an upgrade to make a pix go from restricted to unrestricted and a license to enable 3des:

what do you get exactly? do you get a piece of paper telling you the serial numbers you're supposed to enter when you go throught the upgrade procedure? or is the process something like the des licensing, where you call cisco with your serial number and then they give you the number you're supposed to enter when trying the upgrade?

thanks in advance.

c.

3 Replies 3

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's the latter, you'll get an activation key that is based on the serial number for that PIX. You then put this key into the PIX either by upgrading code or if you're running 6.2 or later, using the "activation-key" command.

but how can cisco give me an activation key based on the serial number for the box when i never (afaik) gave them the serial number?

regards,

c.

They send you an Entitlement Certificate You call them (or I think there is a an online way of doing it as well) where you give them the Entitlement Certificate number and the serial number of the pix. They then generate an activiation key and send it to you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card