Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX v7.x Nat and Globals with PAT

When using a Global statement with a single IP address which suggests PAT; 64,000 and 65,535 are sometimes listed as the upper limit of hosts. Are these theoretical numbers or what is the actual number of hosts that can be really used with a PAT address for PIX/ASA v7.x software?

4 REPLIES

Re: PIX v7.x Nat and Globals with PAT

Hi .. those limits are real and they are not related to the number of hosts a=but to the number os simultaneous connections been established.

I hope it helps .. pleae rate it if it does !!

Hi Fernando and thanks. Let me ask the question in a different way, maybe the answer is the same.

When using a Global statement with a single IP address which suggests PAT; 64,000 and 65,535 are sometimes listed as the upper limit of hosts.

Which is it, 64,000 or 65,535?

What I want to know is how many host devices can use the PAT address is it 64,000 or 65,535 or some other number?

Or is it not a matter of the number of host devices that can use the PAT address but the number of ports available for connections?

PIX/ASA v7.x software?

Hi .. again is a matter of connections .. you could have 10 connections using differente ports and all initiated from the same IP address. It is not restriceted by the number of hosts.

I believe I read in a Cisco doc somewhere, they recomend that a single IP address using PAT should surfice for around 4000 hosts. This obviously depends of usage patterns...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content