Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX Version 7

cisco.learner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Long time to seen. Happy Chinese New Year!

I am upgrade to version 7. I need knowing good and bad.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

i believe the 837 is currently running in bridging mode.

assuming the pix is upgraded to v7, then the 837 will need to be re-configured from bridging mode to routing mode in order to handle the dsl as well as the pppoa/pppoe.

regarding vpn, pix may still be used as the vpn termination point. if this is preferred, then port forward needs to be configured on the 837 (udp 500, and udp 4500), and typical vpn codes on pix.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

just wondering what the current topology. assuming there is an adsl with pppoe, then it is a little bit more complicated since v7 doesn't support pppoe.

further, vpn configuration has also been modified slightly.

and of course, lots of new feature supported by v7 such as multiple context (i.e. virtual firewalling), and transparent firewalling.

Hi,

How I check pppoe is here? I have router 837. Also, what VPN configuration change? Now, only VPN client come in the PIX.

verify whether the codes below are in the pix current config or not, as these are for pppoe:

vpdn group pppoe_group request dialout pppoe

vpdn group pppoe_group localname

vpdn group pppoe_group ppp authentication chap

vpdn username password

Hi,

Yes, it is the config. What can I fix the problem? We must upgrade version 7. The main important is VPN.

i believe the 837 is currently running in bridging mode.

assuming the pix is upgraded to v7, then the 837 will need to be re-configured from bridging mode to routing mode in order to handle the dsl as well as the pppoa/pppoe.

regarding vpn, pix may still be used as the vpn termination point. if this is preferred, then port forward needs to be configured on the 837 (udp 500, and udp 4500), and typical vpn codes on pix.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card