cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX VPN client for Windows 2000

jbankson
Level 1
Level 1

To my knowledge, Cisco hasn't released a Windows 2000 PIX VPN client. Is there any other client out there that works with PIX VPN and runs on Windows 2000? Thanks.

John

8 Replies 8

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

I know I’ve seen this question asked on the board multiple times. Try doing a search to find a workaround for it, because I remember someone posting how this is done. I’ve heard Cisco is going to release a Win 2000 client over the next few months that’s Cisco supported. I’ve also heard some other vendors have a quick fix product, but I’m told they have bugs. I plan on waiting out for the Cisco product.

spiffi505
Level 1
Level 1

SafeNet/Soft-PK, version 5.0.0

works great!

Can you please tell me where to find the SafeNet/Soft-PK package that has been mentioned in this thread ? I'd like to get the Cisco Win2K Client, but who knows when it's going to be available !

a.butterworth
Level 1
Level 1

Why do you need one?

Windows 2000 already has L2TP & IPSec as part of the OS (unlike 9x or NT 4.0 that only have PPTP). You can set up Windows 2000 (dialup wizard) to talk to a PIX or Router etc quite easily.

Oh yeah!?! It actually works!?! What configuration do I need to do at the pix?

Cisco actually does have an IPSEC client for Windows 2000 in beta testing. It is available through your Sales/SE team. It should be released in March.

No, it doesn't actually work. There have been a number of issues with MS's L2TP implementation, not the least of which is its immaturity. Do yourself a favor and stump up the $99 for the SafeNet client. Why Cisco is having such a hard time repackaging this I have no idea.

The problem with the W2K client that is integrated is it does not support dynamic IP addressing. In other words, you have to set up your tunnel parameters, and if/when you change IP addresses (as in using a modem), you will have to go in and change the source IP address and the "return" IP address