Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX VPN Client to Checkpoint

maik.behley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

can i connect to a checkpoint box with a cisco vpn client or is the special checkpoint vpn client needed?

The next question:

When i try to connect with a vpn client, behind a pix firewall, to a checkpoint box, which ports must be opend on the pix firewall for a successfully connection?

For PIX VPN's is this the UDP port 500, but which port is this for the checkpoint box?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, you will have to use the CP client, the Cisco client has some propietary XAuth stuff that won't work to a CP.

IPSec is a standard, so the port numbers are the same presumably. If the client is behind the PIX, then you shouldn't need to open anything cause the return traffic will be allowed back in. Having said that, you'll need to do some sort of IPSec encapsulation in TCP or UDP packets, cause the PIX won't PAT the IPSec packets properly. CP should offer this feature, and there documentation will tell you what port number it uses, but as I said, if this is an outbound connection thru the PIX then the PIX should allow it back in by default.

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I know that the pix is a statefull inspection firewall and the answers coming back to the client must be not configurable but i have tested the following configuration with a customer.

Cisco VPN Client --> PIX --> Internet --> PIX --> LAN

This works not functional. What is the solution? The PIX makes NAT for any inside client hosts. With a sniffer i have seen udp traffic source port 1190/1191/1192 to the destination port 62514.

Another Config with NAT/PAT works fine.

Cisco VPN Client --> Router --> Internet --> PIX --> LAN

The ISDN router has a static NAT entry for the host with the vpn client and incoming traffic over udp/500 is allowed. When i delete this entry, the connection to the pix is not succcessfully.

I have no idea.

Thanks