cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX will not get DHCP on outside interface

HMidkiff
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PIX501. I am plugging it into a cable modem but it will not get a DHCP address. I have tried power cycling both devices and tried a straight thru and crossover cable but it still will not work. I am sure why... The outside interface is configured with "ip address outside dhcp setroute".

9 Replies 9

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Connect to pix either via console of telnet through your inside interface ip.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/pix/pix63/command/reference/gl.html#wp1026920

this should get you up and running.

pix>enable

config t

ip address outside dhcp retry 10

global (outside) 1 interface

nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0

once you have enter this configuration do show interface to see if outside interface has obtained dynanic IP address, and write down the ip address, if you are successfull then you need to place a defaul

route in pix.

e.g

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x 1

where x is the outside interface IP address.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Jorge:

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion but still didn't get an IP address. I tried both a straight thru and crossover cable and reboot both the modem and PIX, but still nothing. I even called my ISP. Once they heard this was a PIX and not their gear they said they didn't support it. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

How is your physical outside interface configured for transmission speed?, if it is hardcoded change it to auto with command interface ethernet0 auto try it and see if that makes any difference in getting an IP.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Jorge:

Thanks again for taking an interest in my issue. I tried resetting the interface but still the same thing. I am quite baffles by this. If I put it on any other network is works fine... If you any other ideas I am all ears...

hmmm.. what version of code are you running?

if you connect a regular system do you get IP?

Jorge Rodriguez

Jorge:

Thanks for getting back to me again. The PIX501 is running 6.3(5). Today I am going to pickup a hub, so I can sniff the traffic while the unit is trying to get is IP address. Hopefully this will bring something to light.

bob.bartlett
Level 1
Level 1

First power off your cable modem for 5 minutes. Then with the 501 powered down restart your cable modem. Once the cable modem is up and lights are normal then power up the PIX.

Bob:

Thanks for replying to my post. I have tried many combinations of power off's and on's. I will try the 5 minutes as you suggest. Thanks.

Bob:

I tried your suggestion but still got the same thing! No IP address on the outside interface on the PIX501. I tried both a straight thru and crossover but not difference. I then put a hub in the middle and sniffed the wire while the PIX501 was trying to get its IP. I saw the "discovery" packets broadcasting out but never saw an offer come back. I am very puzzled at this point. The modem is a WebStar. I am going to check their site for any info on this. I cannot imagine any special caveats when it comes to DHCP....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: