Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Pix with static route

I have a pix 515, on a flat 192.168.1.x network. The pix inside is 192.168.1.1. I have another router, 192.168.1.2 where I want to send the network 192.168.2.x traffic to. I put a static route:

route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.2 1

It will not work. What am I missing? Should be easy. I can ping the network form the pix, but not from a worstation with a default route of the pix (192.168.1.1). ?

5 REPLIES

Re: Pix with static route

Do you have nat-global or static translation made on pix for this hosts? ACL which permits echo-reply?

Traffic originating form 192.168.1.x goes out the internet okay (there is a nat and global for this network). But I want traffic for 192.168.2.x network (which has no global or nat) sent to the router at 192.168.1.2 0n the same inside network.

Hello e-see,

Traffic entering an interface on a PIX cannot then leave by the same interface.

Make the router at 192.168.1.2 the default for your internal hosts and give that router a network route to 192.168.2.0, (via whatever interface is connected to that network) and a default route to the PIX.

You can leave the existing route on the PIX so that it can access the .2 network if required.

Hope this helps.

Clive

I would like to but that router is mamanged service for my customer from another vendor so I don't want to touch it. I don't understand why a static route on the pix pointing to a router on the same network will not work. Should be simple. Thanks

Is the pix nating the traffic it is sending to the router for the 192.168.2.x network? Do I need an access list with a nat 0?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content