Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX501 cabling - crossover question

I'm installing a PIX 501 in an environment where the T-1 first passes through a router over which I have no control, then to my PIX, and on to the clients. (I can't place the PIX any further upstream than this).

The documentation says to install a crossover cable between the internet (or the router in my case) and the PIX, and straight-through cables everywhere else.

When I do this, nothing works. However, when I use a straight-through cable from the router to the PIX, and a crossover from the PIX to a client, it works.

I can't imagine the docs are wrong (someone would have noticed by now).

Why does my configuration not work as depicted?

Do I need to get crossover cables for all clients behind the PIX? (Tell me no, please).

Thanks for the help.

1 REPLY

Re: PIX501 cabling - crossover question

First of all. You are probably going to be connecting the PIX to a switch or something like that and then allowing your clients to connect to that correct? You must remember that the PIX is just a "computer" anyways. Open that sucker up (unless it voids the warranty ;) ) It just has an Intel processor and some ram in there (very basic description of course).

Go back to your basic rules of thumb. Like devices should have a crossover cable in between them. So in a way you were trying to connect two "computers" with a straight through cable. Not gunna work. You wouldn't expect a pc with a network card to be able to connect to your pc with a network card right? The pix just has a network card in it that you are connecting to.

You will be setting up your pix something like this correct ?

PIX----->Switch(basic/layer3)------>clients if this is the case, you shouldn't need to worry about connecting each client with a crossover cable.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content