Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX506/506E Power Problems?

I have a PIX506 and another site with a 506e. Both are experiencing apparent power problems (?) despite being powered by a UPS, and no other equip in the closets being affected. I've had Cisco replace the 506 because it was affected by a couple of recalls, but the 506e is < 6 months old. I replaced the power supply for the 506 also, and that didn't help. The problem is very intermittent (about once every couple of weeks). The LED's on the rear & front are dark. When I move things around, it will suddenly come to life. Is this a known problem? We're considering replacing both firewalls with something else due to this reliability problem.

Thanks.

John

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: PIX506/506E Power Problems?

What are you moving around? There are 3 connectors. Did you replace the cable from the wall to the power supply when you swapped pix's? Did you swap power supplies or just the pix's?

Carefully isolate each connection 1)wall to cable 2)cable to power supply (3 Supply to router is not a connector but still a flex/failure point 4)cable to router. Isolate and wiggle each and see if you can figure out where the bad spot is. Most likely: a loose connection from the wall cable into the power supply.

Re: PIX506/506E Power Problems?

John,

If you look at the connector plugged into the pix, you may see that one of the pins on the back of the pix is recessed.

This may be the source of your problem. It was mine anyway. The latest physical versions of the PIX506e have a different plug and socket connection.

I recommend that you talk to your supplier or failing that Cisco themselves.

I had to get a PIX and power block replaced because of this problem.

Regards

Steve

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content