Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX506E running really hot

Ok, this is the 3rd "brand new" 506e unit that I have come across that runs really hot right over the CPU. So hot in fact, I cannot handle the unit on that spot without burning my fingers.

I also noticed when I opened the unit up, is that they no longer come with a fan on the front plate of the unit. The first 2 506e's I came across I believe had those (or at least the 506s), and although they too ran hot, they did not run as hot as this one.

Can this be normal? 3 for 3??

Thanks

Jeff

1 REPLY

Re: PIX506E running really hot

Hi,

Indeed, the PIX 506E runs hotter than some people expect. However, this is not dangerous to the unit or to the surroundings. It has a thermal shutdown circuit which will shut it down if it gets too hot. The problem is that the bigger CPU's on the 506E have a larger heat sink which is closer to the top of the case. This gives the illusion that the unit is running hotter than a 506. And yes, you are correct that 506's had a fan on the front plate whereas the 506E's do not. This same issue has come up in the past and I assure you, this is not an issue to be concerned about. Hope this helps.

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies