Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

pix525 reboot or the r6509?

hello,

i met the matter that pix525 automaticlly reboot one time or more every day,so following is the syslog

r6509: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Vlan5, changed state to down£¨r6509 is linked to pix525,the two interfaces belongs to vlan5)

pix525:%PIX-1-101003: (Secondary) Failover cable not connected (this unit£©(the failover is off and never opened£©.

that time the loss of packet is too high to online.I

have shown tech of r6509 and pix525, no crash.so any other

measure i should take?

thanks for your help!

4 REPLIES

Re: pix525 reboot or the r6509?

Are you sure you don't have failover configured? "no failover" should be specifically listed in the configuration. The fact that this box says it is the "secondary" would lead me to believe that either a) failover is configured or b) this PIX has a failover bundle license.

Does it mention anything about being a failover unit on boot?

Can you see that it is part of a failover bundle in a show version?

PIXs sold as failover pairs with failover licenses will have one fully licensed unit and a secondary unit with a failover bundle license on it. This secondary unit will reboot once every 24 hours when it is not connected to another unit.

It would be useful to see a show version and a show failover (if not the whole config).

firstly,Thanks for your help! I'm sure there is no failover conf,cause show failover is off.But u mentioned something about failover pairs,which i have never known,it's very helpful.so i will show version . If no failover bundle ,what 's the next step i should take ?by the way ,the version6.0 of pix has any bug ?don't u believe the router 6509 maybe go wrong?

It is my guess that your PIX is bought as a failover unit and therefore can't be used as a standalone firewall. If you still use it as a standalone unit, the firewall will reload every 24 hours. Your message on the 6509 is a result of the reload.

how can I know pix525 is a failover unit or has a bundle license?

pix525-sw-ur

the following is the 'sh ver'

Cisco Secure PIX Firewall Version 6.0(1)

PIX Device Manager Version 1.0(1)

Compiled on Thu 17-May-01 20:05 by morlee

JX1-F525 up 3 days 20 hours

Hardware: PIX-525, 256 MB RAM, CPU Pentium III 600 MHz

Flash E28F128J3 @ 0x300, 16MB

BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

Licensed Features:

Failover: Enabled

VPN-DES: Enabled

VPN-3DES: Disabled

Maximum Interfaces: 8

Cut-through Proxy: Enabled