Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Please Review My VPN Strategy

Greetings,

I'm on the edge of my networking experience here, so any help is appreciated. My goal is to enable a remote user to map a drive letter on their local machine to a remote file server share. The end user's experience would be identical to working inside my LAN, meaning they could open, save, edit, delete, etc. From my research thus far, I think I am describing a VPN.

The ideal solution would be secure, but simple. I don't mind installing a new piece of hardware in my LAN, but would very much prefer to not require new hardware for my users. As they connect from various geographic locations, I don't want to require them to lug around additional hardware for this purpose.

My current LAN hardware is a Linksys WRT54GS router with static IP and an Iomega ReadyNAS NV+. I have successfully connected remotely to the NAS using HT TPS.

Client machines are running Win XP SP2 or Vista. One client machine is running Mac OS X 10.5.2.

I've determined thus far that my current router is not sufficient to provide a VPN connection. I looked at the Linksys business class routers (model WRVS4400N or similar) but the reviews I've found are disappointing.

I took a look at the bottom of the line Cisco units, namely the 851W, as a replacement. I'm NOT a network engineer, so I'm nervous that Cisco products will be over my head. Is there a better unit to look at?

Would a Cisco 851W require my remote users to have VPN hardware? Does it come with a software application that could be used in lieu of hardware?

Given that I'm going to need to learn the next steps, what is the best way to pull this off?

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Please Review My VPN Strategy

You will not need a seperate hardware for the users. You may have to install to VPN client software form cisco for better interoperability.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content