Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

PLS..Block Yahoo/MSN ,messenger

dear firewallers

help block yahoo/ msn messenger in my cisco pix 6.2(1), it will be a great help.

i guess msn is easy to bolck at port 1863, but yahoo is a problem,

thanx in advance

shukla

• Other Security Subjects
4 REPLIES

Re: PLS..Block Yahoo/MSN ,messenger

It is a difficult task, as YM is not tied to a port. You have to determine the addresses of the YM servers and block those. In preference order, YM uses 5050,80, then any port. So, from a firewall perspective, you have to find the addresses and block them, or you could have your DNS servver take ownership of those zones.

I found this tip:

I found the easiest way to block IM servers is to have 'poisoned' DNS zones.

I've configured our internal DNS server with Primary zones with no host records for the following...

Oscar.aol.com

msg.yahoo.com

msgr.hotmail.com

messenger.hotmail.com

icq.com

You could also use message filtering software, such as SurfControl

hi

i was able to block YM in PIX by blocking ip block of...216.136.x.x..and 216.155.x.x......and msn at ...64.13.x.x..at port 1863..

thanx a ton

shukky

Since YM can you most ports, you would heva to determine the server addresses, or use filtering software. WebSense 5 can be configured to block YM by recognizing "footprint".

Since YM can use most ports, you would heva to determine the server addresses, or use filtering software. WebSense 5 can be configured to block YM by recognizing "footprint".

This is to correct a typo in my last post.

Views
Helpful
Replies