cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

POP3 Email

agoodwin
Level 1
Level 1

Is there likely to be an issue with pop3 email accounts when setting up a pix using pat?

ie.

nat (inside) 1 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0

global (outside) 1 interface

cheers

Andy

3 Replies 3

mns0523
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, looks like your going to have to use port redirection, the command looks something like this......

static (inside,outside) tcp interface 110 192.168.x.x 110 netmask 255.255.255.255 1000 500

Here is a link for the command syntax...

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/28.html#port

Good luck....

Hi,

Thanks for your time mate.

Its a very small network ie 2 clients with a pix. They both wish to use pop3 email accounts to their desktops. Would I be right in thinking that port re-direction would only work to one machine?

With pix I was on the understanding that if the client initiated the connection that it should allow the reply through the wall. Does pop3 work differently to this or am I missing the point?!

cheers

Andy

I'm sorry, I took your post as if you were trying tp put a mail server behind the PIX. The only suggestion I can make are make sure your not blocking pop on the inside interface. Your correct in the fact that the PIX will build the return path, and I have never had a problem with PAT and pop accounts. Other than that, make sure your mail clients and mail server are setup correctly.