Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE authentication on the Cisco 3002

I am trying to connect my cisco 3002 hardware client to the internet via a DSL line. My ISP indicated that this is done via PPPoE.

Cisco indictes that the 3002 supports PPPoE.

Authentication to my ISP PPPoE server fails. How can I tell if the 3002 supports PAP or CHAP or both. If so there doesn't seem to be anyway to configure this setting within the 3002 ?

Does the 3002 try one then when that fails does the other automatically ?

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: PPPoE authentication on the Cisco 3002

Hi,

Yes, the VPN3002 supports PPPoE and supports both PAP and CHAP and this setting is not configurable. It should automatically try different settings. What happens if you replace the VPN3002 with a Laptop and use the same username and password, does it connect fine.

If it connects fine, then we know that the username and password are valid and its only the VPN3002 that is having issue. What is the version on the VPN3002 and is this a new set up or was working before.

BTW, who is your ISP.

Regards,

Arul

Thanks for the response Arul.

If I try connecting directly with a windows XP laptop, the PC connects to the internet just fine. So I know my password & userid are good.

The issue is definitely with the Cisco 3002. I am using Version 3.6.6 code.

My ISP is AMERITECH aka SBC

cheers

Wendell

Cisco Employee

Hi Wendell,

Thanks for the update!! I guess your provider recently changed their authentication from CHAP to PAP and there is an open bug for this issue with VPN3002.

The bug id is CSCdz17373.

You can take a look at the bug using the below URL:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/launch_bugtool.pl

Regards,

Arul

Arul,

Thanks for the BUG update. This seems to be the case with my 3002. I have made a note of it and will follow the bug updates for its resolution.

Cheers

Wendell

Cisco Employee

Hi Wendell,

You are welcome anytime. Glad to know that the bug description matched your issue.

Regards,

Arul

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content